My work over the last two decades has focused on investigative journalism, photography, and videography. In 2002, I founded Eleventh Avenue South, a popular local news blog that ran from 2002-2011. In 2006, I joined the team at the Minnesota Independent, a nonprofit public interest news website and part of the American Independent News Network. In 2011, I joined the Washington, DC-based American Independent until it closed in 2013. In 2014, I joined the radio team at KFAI’s Fresh Fruit. In 2015, I participated in the The UpTake Institute’s Fall 2015 Conflict-Sensitive Video Journalism Fellowship.
Since 2009, I’ve served as the editor of The Column, a Minnesota-based news service by and for the LGBTQ community.
My freelance and syndicated work includes: The Advocate, The Star Tribune, The Huffington Post, Salon, Cagle News Service, Twin Cities Daily Planet, TheUptake, Vita.mn and more.
Awards and Recognitions
- Best News Writing by National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association (First Place, 2016)
- Best News Writing by National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association (Third Place, 2015)
- Best Series by the Minnesota chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (First, 2010)
- In 2008, I was selected by DIVA MN as one of “ten twenty to thirty-something activists making positive impacts in the community.”
- Best Opinion Writing by Dan Savage’s Sex-Positive Journalism awards (2nd place, 2008)
- Best Beat Reporting by the Online News Association (Finalist, 2007)
I have 20 years of experience in ecology. At Illinois Central College, I participated in invasive species removal (buckthorn, garlic mustard) and controlled burns at Forest Park Nature Center.
At the University of Minnesota, I participated in the Chequamegon Ecosystem-Atmosphere Study with a specialization in sap flow measurements and leaf area index studies. I spent three years on the project doing research at the University of Minnesota Forest Research Center (now the Cloquet Forestry Center), and the Sylvania Wilderness in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Urban Forestry and Geography, BIS, University of Minnesota, 2005
President, Student Association for the Environment, Illinois Central College
Member, College of Natural Resources Student Board, University of Minnesota
President, St. Paul Board of Colleges, University of Minnesota
Member, North American Butterly Association